Thursday, March 11, 2010

Musical Language and Annual Colds

I know I talk about Radiolab a lot, and here I go again:

I am listening to yet another mind-blowing episode, called Musical Language, and really, this show never fails to deliver something awesome. First off, they're talking about tone languages, like Mandarin. I already knew about this, but you can say one word in four different tones, and each tone will mean something different. It sounds like 'ma', but changing the way you say it can mean, 'mother', 'help', 'horse', or a reproach. They also said that the people who speak these tone languages are, essentially, pitch perfect. That means that you can perfectly tell the pitch of any sound you hear. Like, if I knock on the door, that would be a whatever, a D, or a B, or an A or something, and they would know it instantly. Then I wondered, but is this what fuels the stereotype of Asians being good at music? Is it not actually a stereotype? Can they just understand the notes and pitches better because they posses this power of being pitch perfect? And lo and behold, a few minutes after I wondered this, they were talking about it. I don't want to spoil too much of the show for anyone who's actually going to listen to it, but let's just say that I thought correctly.

Ugh, and now I'm sick. I'm just at the beginning of my Annual Cold, and now I know why you regular humans complain about being sick. It fucking sucks. I really only get sick this one time of year, and it lasts about 2 weeks. During this time, I will feel like I am going to die, consume a lot of ice cream, and sleep. Oh, how I will sleep. No one has ever slept the way I am about to sleep. Long, undisturbed periods of sleep, full of the most amazing, crazy and terrifying dreams. This is what illness is to me. Ice cream and dreams. I spend my wet March afternoons in a reverie of dreams.

Jesus, sorry I'm so boring these days. Literally nothing interesting has been happening, so there's not much to talk about. Max is going to Indianapolis for a few days. My friend Chiara is having a St. Patrick's Day party on Saturday. Macey just burped in my ear. Ew, ew and ew.

4 comments:

  1. That reminds me of the time me and my friend figured out that the bell for our classes rings at an A flat. Talk about no life. xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the same thing when I was in high school. What can you expect from a band nerd :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. You regular humans? Then what do you classify yourself as? haha
    & Being sick really sucks, especially the intense coughing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clearly I'm some kind of super humanoid.
    But not really, because now I'm super sick :<

    ReplyDelete