Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Big Kid Stuff

Being a big kid sucks. I messed up with paying my taxes for the first time (I did my 2009 taxes in November 2010) and man, has it ever fucked me over.

It mostly messed me up with my health insurance. See, health insurance in Canada is pretty much free... if you make under a certain amount. If you make under $22,000 a year, you get 100% premium assistance, meaning you have to pay $0. But if you make over $30,000 you have to pay $60.50, $109 for a family of two, or $121 for a family of three or more monthly. Thankfully I make waaay under $22,000 a year, so I get off scott free. Unless you don't file your taxes on time, in which case they just assume that you make over $30,000 a year and start charging you their monthly rates. So the health insurance people, assuming I'm rich, have been charging me and charging me, and now I owe them a balance of over $600.

This isn't a huge problem, it just makes things a little sticky. There have been a lot of phone calls, bills received, forms filled out and letters mailed in the past few months, which isn't an awful hassle but it is irritating. A nice man just phoned me though and helped me sort everything out. I could tell he thought I was a bit of an idiot, but then again, I am a bit of an idiot. But I think things will go back to normal once I've mailed this final letter in, which contains my 2009 notice of assessment. Also, I'm never filing my taxes late again.

WOW! Taxes, Lisa? You really know how to keep an audience entertained!

I had a really uncomfortable dream last night, about being on a ferry that people kept falling out of. It had all these hotel rooms for us to stay in, but one wall of the room wasn't so much a wall as it was a shutter. Meaning it would just open up and whatever hit it would fall into the water. The end of the room had this steep slope that would just make anything that rolled down it smash into the shutter, which would fly open. I spent a long time trying to lower myself near it and tie it shut, so I wouldn't have to worry about rolling out of my bed and drowning in the middle of the night. I have a lot of dreams about falling into water, and they're really unpleasant. I almost did fall in during the dream, but managed to pull myself out, which has never happened before. Interesting.

Well, I'm off to another day in the salt mines, and then I have two glorious days off, which will involve sleepovers and... I don't really know what else yet.

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy your days off! I just finished my exams today =) Also, my daddy does my taxes xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will, thank you! Congrats on no more exams :)
    Lucky duck, I wish someone would do my taxes for me. But my mum insisted that I learn myself :/

    ReplyDelete