Wednesday, May 18, 2011

New Books and Wainy Days

So I took the trouble to actually go to the library the other day and sign up for a library card. It's been years since I had one. In high school, before I had the money to go and buy books, I would frequently go to the library, take out 5 books and read them all in two and a half weeks. I have to say, those were good times. I was just constantly reading new things, and spending time in a peaceful, quiet environment. And then the debt started wracking up.

I was notoriously bad at returning library books. It's not that I was taking forever to read them. I was simply too lazy to walk to the library and stick them in the return slot, or too forgetful to put them in my bag. There was a point where I had a $30 fine attached to my name, and I just stopped going to the library. No way did I have $30 as a teenager to pay off library fines. There were other instances where the late fees would rack up and my mum would mercifully pay them off for me. But that can only happen so many times before a mum gets fed up. At the time of the $30 fine I was about 16 or 17, and had been lamenting the loss of my library privileges. Max took it into his kind little heart to pay them off for me. After which I accumulated about $40 in late fees. Needless to say, I haven't been to the library in a long time.

But now I have a chance to start over. I'm in a different city, where the name "Lisa Recchia" is yet unknown to the libraries of Burnaby. So I now have in my possession my first library card in 3 years. And what do I go out and do? Buy two brand new books from Chapters, duh.

Honestly, I just want to punch myself sometimes. I don't have very much money now, and two very important things to be saving up for (school, and Amanda's wedding). To be fair, though, they're two really interesting books. One of them I know is going to be good, because it's by one of my most favourite authors of all time, Christopher Moore. The other one is a book that I found in the Science section of the store, called The 'God' Part of the Brain: A Scientific Interpretation of Human Spirituality and God. How could I NOT buy this book, am I right? Pretty much a paperback copy of some of my thoughts. I'll let you know how it is.

Okay, I've got to tell you about one of the best webseries out there, because I just rediscovered it after stumbling upon it a few years ago. It's called Wainy Days, and it is wildly hilarious. Now, if you can't laugh at smut, then I recommend that you not click that link up there. But if you do have a perverse sense of humour, please, do yourself a favour. One of the funniest things about this show, other than everything, are the famous people who often guest star. The first time I started watching Wainy Days, I didn't notice this at all. But people like Elizabeth Banks, Paul Rudd and Jonah Hill have appeared in episodes. And that's all I've got to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment