Friday, April 13, 2012

Commissions

I've recieved my first commission today! A friend of mine texted me this morning to tell me that she's removing all her old pictures and posters from her wall, and she would like me to make her some new things to put up! She's even going to pay me, which is something I was not expecting at all. To be honest, the business end of art always makes me uncomfortable. I don't know how to determine cost of an object like a drawing or a painting. I suppose it's suppose it's suppose to at least equal the cost of materals and time put into the work, but if I'm doing a drawing, my materials are going to be pencils, erasers and pens (of which I've accumulated many), and maybe thick rag paper, which costs $6 tops per sheet, and comes big enough that I could squeeze 2 drawings out of it. Of course, since she's a friend, I'm not going to charge her an arm and a leg. Maybe I'll look around the internet and try to figure out how this stuf works...

Other than figuring out marketing/business bullshit, I'm totally excited. I just need to find out what she's looking for, and how many/how big she wants them, and then I'm going to get started. She said that my deadline is from now until I die, so that's pretty nice. I'll try and finish them all by the end of the summer though.

Today I have my Art History final exam, and I must confess, I've barely studied for it. But strangely, I'm not worried. The format for the exam is 3 short essays based on comparing and contrasting the different subject matters. I am the queen of this stuff. Okay, maybe I should have studied a little bit more. Oh well.

And finally, today is my little brother's birthday. He's now 17 years old. Jesus, where does the time go? I remember him when he was a roly-poly baby. Now he's almost an adult. Oy vey.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the commission and good luck on your exams!

    ReplyDelete
  2. an illustrator I met who also does commission portraits and stuff told me to charge by the square inch. She said something $100 per inch2, but naturally that's more for like if you're like....already pro. But it's a good rule, if you can come up with a rate that means a decent price for the end result. Or of course cost of materials plus a fixed rate for each our of labour

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooo somebody gave me this thing, and I wondered if you wanted to do it too?

    http://alira23.blogspot.ca/2012/05/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete