Friday, July 26, 2013

Old Man's War

My good friend Paul introduced me to an amazing author the other day, John Scalzi. I never was a huge science fiction buff, though I was into it a bit more when I was younger. Mostly older stuff like Bradbury though, nothing too new. But Paul insisted that Scalzi's book, Old Man's War, was one of his favourites, and shit, paperback science fiction novels are like 10 bucks, so I gave it a shot...

And now I'm completely, head over heels in love! I cannot stress enough how this is easily one of the best books I have ever read. I knew I loved it when I was only two and a half pages in. Old Man's War is the first in a trilogy, thank god, because I finished it in less than a total of 24 hours and I need more. Also, I'm unused to books being so cheap, so you know what that means? Time to buy more and more and more and more and...

I also added another Christopher Moore book to my collection: Sacré Bleu: A Comedy D'Art. I have a very deep love for all of Moore's stories, and encourage everyone to give them a shot. They're funny as hell, but with amazing storytelling and some deeply emotional moments too. The tagline for Sacré |Bleu is:

In July 1890, Vincent van Gogh went into a cornfield and shot himseld. Or did he?
 I feel like I'm at the right point in my life right now to have found this book. I don't think I would appreciate it as much as I think I'm going to if I didn't have my newfound art and art history background. Just started it today, so I'll probably be done by Sunday hahaha. Anyhow, I'm off for a lovely day of hanging out with my girl Sarah. We're going for lunch at The Tipper, a really great little place near my work, and then who knows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment