Tuesday, May 22, 2012

A Versatile Blogger? Moi?

Goodness! I go away for, oh, a month and a half, and when I come back someone nominates me for the Versatile Blogger Award! Thank you very kindly, Sharra! Nice of you to think of me. I guess this means I should go away for even longer and see what else gets thrown my way.



The rules are:
1. Nominate 15 fellow bloggers who are relatively new to blogging
2. Let them know that you have nominated them.
3. Share 7 random facts about yourself.
4. Thank the bloggers who have nominated you.
5. Add the Versatile Blogger Award picture to your post

As per one of the requirements for this, I will now put down 7 Random Facts About Myself:

1) As a young child, I would blindfold myself and practice walking around my house in this sightless state, until I knew where absolutely everything was with my eyes closed.

2) I have mild scoliosis. My spine is curved ever so slightly, and as a result, my shoulders are noticeably crooked when I stand up straight. You wouldn't think that such a small curve would matter, but it is incredibly agonizing so much, though not as terribly in recent years.


3) I believed in faeries (age 14) for longer than I believed in God (age 9). Just... just shut up about it, okay?


4) Going to be honest here. I think I have some form of body dysmorphic disorder. I don't really want to get into details about it just now, but let's just say that catching sight of my reflection can ruin my entire day.


5) I've developed a really bizarre fear. I am constantly worried that while I'm on the bus, someone behind me is going to cut my hair off. I don't know where this came from, but it is a great source of anxiety for me.


6) In another time, I really wanted to be a librarian. Sometimes I still think about doing it. But one look at the courses in the 4 year program cured me of this desire. Boooooring.

7) My family and I like to pretend that our dog, Macey, is actually a princess that got turned into a dog. Yup.

I absolutely do not know 15 other bloggers, so I will just nominate a few:

Tanis - I hope this encourages you to update more often!
Christina - Likewise to you, lady.


In actuality, I feel terrible about neglecting this for so long. But you know how it goes. School ends for the summer, and then you start working 40 hours a week. Well, maybe that doesn't happen to everyone, but it is totally happening to me, and while I am dog-tired by the end of the day, I am raking in fat stacks of cash that are allowing me to go out and spend money on art supplies and, you know, food. Okay, okay, and the occassional skirt or dress. Those are essentials too.

I am taking one course this summer, a Modern Art class. It's a requirement to get into the second year of my Fine Arts program, so I'm not taking it because I want to, and believe me, the first two days of it were AGONY. Honestly, I can't stand critiquing art, and as you'll soon find, I have a lot to say about the subject. It just bothers me that pretty much everything that it discussed or thought of about a certain pieve is purely speculation on the part of the viewer, unless specifically set down by the artist themself. Seriously, people can make up so much bullshit about a single painting.

I just find the act of making these things up to be completely pointless, for both parties, actually. This is what I wrote in my notebook during class when I should have been taking down important facts:

"It doesn't matter what I think about a piece of art, because the artist is only going to take into account what they intended for said piece. It doesn't matter what the artist thinks about their piece, because I will always take away what I want from said piece."

I also added at the end "Therefore, creating art with meaning and intent is arbitrary and irrelevent.", which is technically true according to my own statement above, but I think that can be left up to debate. Anyhow, what was once a hated class is now a much anticipated one, because while I mostly disagree with everything the teacher says (if Giacometti and Bacon said that they weren't existentialists, can't we just take their word for it?!) it is giving me the opportunity to form a bunch of my own ideas on the subject, so that's something exciting.

Okay, I really wanted to write a whole bunch more, but it is now 12:11 am and I have to get up early, because I have my Art History class tomorrow, and I'm going to LA on Wednesday with Max for 5 days, and I haven't really packed for that yet. Ooooops. But I am going to update more frequently for sure, because I really missed doing this. Also, this blog has had almost 13,000 pageviews? I find that... surprising. I mean, in the grand scheme of the Internet, numbers like 13,000 are meaningless, but it's still interesting. Like, why? I'm not really saying anything, am I? Well, I'm thinking about talking about Art History a lot more, so maybe people will like that.

Anyhow, pip-pip cheerio and all that good stuff, children.

PS. The sickest song? The sickest song. Thank you to KC Green of Gunshow, for englightening me in the ways of Javelin.



3 comments:

  1. Oh man, I'm just gonna nominate you for everything now if it means more blog posts haha. It's really good to hear from you. I wish I was going to LA. And those classes that you hate and end up loving are awesome (in hindsight). Good luck lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm sorry I totally neglected this for so long. I just don't think about things if they're not immediately in front of me sometimes, so a lot of things get abandoned. But I'm going to get on top of it again! I was excited to hear about your trip to Italy too. It's the land of my ancenstors haha.

    We should really hang out soon :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my fault too! I am TERRIBLE at keeping up with people. We'll get to it this summer I promise! BEACH OUTINGS =D

      Delete