Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Calmer and Keener

Okay, so I'll admit I was a little panicked yesterday. It happens to the best of us, but mostly to me. I just got a little overwhelmed with the prospect of writing things that people might actually read. Writing for yourself is fine and dandy, but all of that changes when you're writing for other people. Suddenly, the pressure is on. It's the same with pretty much anything. Art, dancing, singing, speaking... As soon as you start to do these things for other people, everything is a little scarier.

I did some good, old fashioned thinking today, and actually managed to think of a few things I could write about. I came up with:

- a how-to guide to making a Pikachu costume.
- various recipes
- how to strike up conversations with a stranger.

Meager, but there.

I also wanted to talk about how it bothers me that people fear the idea of us being a comic accident, but I feel that might be a little heavy for one of my first writings.

I'm reading again! I just finished Fool, by Christopher Moore tonight, which was obviously fantastic, and started on A Dog's Purpose, by W. Bruce Cameron. It's pretty good, but kind of sad. It's the story of a dog that keeps being reincarnated into other dogs, constantly searching for a purpose. I like it. It reminds me of Macey.

Hey, maybe I could write about books? I know an awful lot about books.

Listening to Passion Pit now, and getting sleepy. I sleep a lot these days, and it's always the same deep, dream-filled sleep. I keep having the most amazing, detailed, complex dreams. And I'm doing this thing that used to happen to me a lot when I was younger. I would be dreaming, and then wake up from it slightly. Feeling that I didn't yet want to be finished with the dream, I would just shut my eyes and either immediately or gradually pop back into it. I like the sensation. It's very warm and comforting, kind of like somethings gently pulling me back under.

Also, I am a pro reader. I've only been at this book for 1 hour, and I am on page 127 of 319.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ellemar

    It's Myles from Videojug here. I work with Jemma and I saw on a google alert that you'd posted something about VJP on your blog. I read you post so thought i'd get i touch publicly.

    The dilemma of what to write about stops a lot of people sharing their knowledge. I hear a lot of people saying things like 'but i don't know anything' or 'who wants to know what i know'.

    The truth is...lots of people. I bet there are hundreds of things you know and take for granted that i'd love to know. You just need to take a look at google's search logs to know that millions of people each day.

    I just ran a quick report and in August 60,000 searched for information about hot to talk to a stranger?!

    The best thing to do is sit down and write a list of your hobbies, what you do each day and what you enjoy reading about. That should give you some topics. From your topics you can come up with specific titles for pages - the more specific the better because people want specific answers to specific questions.

    I hope this helps and let me know when you've created some pages and i'll take a look.

    Good luck

    Myles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thanks Myles! Sorry I didn't reply to this earlier, I just noticed it now. Not really used to comments, haha.

    This made me feel a lot less stressed out about writing something. I'd almost convinced myself yesterday that I was just going to give up and not write anything because I couldn't think of anything good, but you've given me new hope. I am going to do this!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete