Sunday, May 29, 2011

Ultimately Pointless Professions and Younger You

I'm struggling a little bit with my decision to become a graphic novelist. On one hand, I really feel like it's what I'm meant to be, and I'm sure it will make me happy. I've been drawing comics and cartoons since I was a little kid, and it perfectly combines me love if writing and storytelling with my love of doodling.

On the other hand, however, it bother's me that this job doesn't really contribute to society in anyway. Yes yes, I hear you, you art nerds, complaining about the importance of art. And while I agree with you, I'm just having a problem justifying my possible career. It doesn't really help in anyway. Don't worry, this isn't enough to sway me from making comics. It IS what I want to do. I just wish it wasn't so ultimately pointless.

So about two days ago, my Facebook status said "If your 10 year old self would think that your present self is cool, then you're doing alright." I wholly agree with this. If your 10 year old self (or any younger age) would look at the person you are now and think "Wow. She's cool." I believe that your life is going okay. Personally, 10 year old Lisa would totally think that 20 year old Lisa was cool for a number of reasons.

1. Boyfriend
2. Multiple piercings, and a nose piercing to boot
3. Dyed my hair a bunch
4. Have a tattoo
5. Went to college
6. Seen Europe
7. Have a laptop, cellphone, Xbox
8. Have a dog and two cats (Give me a break, 10 year old Lisa was a simple gal)

I could go on, but it's highly likely that you'll just lose interest.

So, what about you? Would younger you be proud? How come? If you can meet the approval of younger you, then you've got a pretty darned good life.

No comments:

Post a Comment