Thursday, November 4, 2010

New Vegas and The Walking Dead

Hahaha, just listening to come Linkin Park and remembering what an angsty little r-tard I was.

Doing a lot of thinking lately, about what I really want to do. I want to be able to make a decision and then start moving forward in the right direction. I'm leaning towards something, but I don't want to say anything about it in case I jinx it. You think I'm being silly, but I need all the luck I can get. This is something that deeply bothers me. But I do plan on going to VCC in January for Italian classes, so that will at least give me something to do. I'm excited to learn Italian! Then I can converse with my father in the mother-tongue.

I know a couple of people who are bilingual, but when I say "Ooh, say something!" they won't! Carol knows Mandarin, and Amina knows some Arabic, but they won't indulge my curiosity! "Nooo it sounds so weird when I say it! My accent isn't good/I can't speak it that well" Dude, like I'm going to know the difference? Man, when I know Italian, I'm never going to shut the fuck up. But maybe that's more me being a show-off douchebag than trying to culturally expose those around me.

In other news, I bought Fallout: New Vegas, and it is consuming me. All day I think about it. At night, I dream about it. I just want to stay home and play. Sometimes, I honestly forget that the game and I are seperate things; I get so caught up in playing that I feel like my character is me, and it's me out there fighting Deathclaws and Cazadors and Raiders.
Also, this is the first game that I've ever started playing immediately after it was released. It's kind of interesting. Like, with games like Fable II, Left 4 Dead and Fallout 3, I got into them long after they'd been released. It was easier, because when I was stuck, or had a question, I could turn to the multitude of forums, Wiki pages and GameFAQS available from those who had already mastered my recent obsession. But with New Vegas, I'm part of the first wave of people discovering new territory, features, hacks and glitches. It's very exciting!

All in all, they haven't changed much from Fallout 3. The graphics look the same, and all the basics are the same. The only thing that bothers me is that items like food and water don't restore health the same way. In the older games, if you were low on health you could drink some water (Dirty or Purified) or eat some food (Iguana-on-a-stick, Mole Rat Meat or Mirelurk Cakes) and you would gain more health. In New Vegas, you can still eat food and gain health... but only for a couple of seconds. Kind of lame, but it does make you more diligent in keeping out of harm's way.

I'm sure I will talk much, much more about New Vegas.

So, on Halloween, I stayed and watched The Walking Dead premier. I only have one thing to say:

REALLY not impressed.

...Okay, I have a few more things to say.

What the FUCK, guys. The Walking Dead is a fantastic comic series, and I should have known that it was too good to be true that they were going to make it into a good TV show. For one thing, they changed just about everything except the basic storyline. Rick gets shot in gunfight, Rick wakes up in hospital, Rick helps dude and his kid, Rick finds horse and goes to Atlanta, Rick's horse get's disembowled. That stuff was the same. But they changed the way he went about all of those things. Instead, Morgan has a gun before Rick takes him to the police station. Morgan had a wife who was zombified and it still hanging around, traumatizing him and his son Duane. Rick walks what seems like half a mile into a park to put a zombie out of it's misery, which was supposed to be immobile. Rick's wife, Laurie, and the other survivors happen to hear Rick talking on his police radio before he meets up with them, and are unaware that it is him. Rick hides from the hordes of zombies in Atlanta in an abandoned (well, almost abandoned) tank.

THOSE THINGS NEVER HAPPENED.

The story was FINE the way it was. Much, much better, in fact. Now, if you haven't read the comics, it's a decent show. But it's hard to read something so great and then be exposed to something that is so, so shitty in contrast. Also, they made Rick into a total pussy in the show. Comic Rick is so much more of a pimp than TV Rick. TV Rick curled up in the fetal position and cried disconcertingly on the floor when he came home to find his family gone. Comic Rick came, saw, and then went to fucking do something about it.

TV Rick better buck the fuck up, because he has a lot of messed up shit he's going to have to deal with.

Well, that's the end of my nerd rant, and now it's time for sleeps. I'm going to go buy winter clothes with Max tomorrow (today?) and then he's going to help me sort out my room. It has become a bit of an unholy mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment