Sunday, January 24, 2010

Victoria, Museums, and More Information Than You Require

Listening to: Tegan and Sara - Hell

I went to strange, foreign lands for the weekend!

Not really. I went to Vancouver Island and kicking it in Victoria for the weekend, with the boy. Truly though, we had a good time.

I took the Canada Line all the way to the airport (well, almost)! It's a pretty big step up from, say, the Expo Line trains. This one was so quiet, it was awesome. When I was finally on the ferry though, I broke my diet.

D:

But Max kept saying "We're on vacation! It's okay!", and I did make up for it by only eating smoothies and vegetables. So there's that.

We went to the museum! Honestly, I love the museum, however nerdy that may sound. The natural history part is cool, but really, the most awesome part is the hall full of huge glass cases, showcasing items from the different decades of the last century. That is cool in itself, but they have a case for 1990! Seriously, there were like, Reboot action figures (including: Enzo, Megabyte, Hexadecimal), Pogs, and fucking Pikachu. Seriously. Pokemon is going to be in the museums of the future.
We left the museum and walked up along the waterfront,and saw a man dressed as Darth Vader, playing the fiddle. Clearly, this man deserved money, and Max dropped a small sum into his sith-case.
But just before that, a man came up behind us: "Excuse me," he said to me, this creepy, middle-aged man who smiled, but this did little to comfort me. "I've just been walking behind you for the last couple of minutes, and I've been trying to figure out what it says on the back of your hoodie."
Me: Uh, Fall Out Boy?
Him: Tallout Boy?
Me: No. Fall Out Boy.
Him: Oh! Okay. Fall Out Boy. Well, thank you. -leaves-

Trying to read the back of my hoodie, or getting an eyeful of my backside?
Nice try, old man.

In further breaking of my diet, we then went to the Keg and I got the most delicious meal ever. Balsamic Mushroom Chicken. Seriously? Holy FUCK. It was so goddamn good. Grilled chicken breast, balsamic cream sauce, and portabello, shitake and button musrhooms, with a side of garlic mashed potatoes. Dessert? Crème brûlée. I almost cried, it was so delicious. The we waddled back to our AWESOME hotel room, which, for some reason, was a suite, with a kitchen, two bedrooms, two bathrooms, living room and like, a million mirrored closets. It was, to say the least, pretty fucking sweet.

While we were in town, I bought a book. Not just any book though. MORE INFORMATION THAN YOU REQUIRE is a book by John Hodgman, a man who has now become my new hero. This is the funniest book I have read in a long, long time. Every fact that he writes in this book is completely made up. But that doesn't stop it from being insanely hilarious. So far, one of my favourite parts is

THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT BABIES

-a baby who frowns at himself in the mirror will become a writer.
-a baby who hates himself in the mirror will become a writer of short stories.

I am humbled by his wit, and I'm only halfway through the book.

I don't know, I just had such a great time with Max. It's been 3 years now, and we had a wonderful weekend to celebrate it with.

No comments:

Post a Comment