Monday, March 8, 2010

Space Capsules

Listening to Radiolab again. I know, I know what you're thinking. "Enough about Radiolab already!" No, there will never be enough. I am not going to stop talking about Radiolab until somebody finally listens to some, and comments on here about it.

Anyway. I'm listening to Radiolab, and they're talking about a space mission (Voyager? I'm not too sure, I was doing other stuff while I was listening and not paying attention). On this mission, they compiled a record (clearly this was a long time ago) of music and sounds from all over the world, and then shot it into space, as a sort of 'Space Capsule'. Maybe, somewhere millions of light years away, some aliens will find it, and be able to listen to it, and learn a little about life on Earth.

Seems silly, I know. And naive. Like, even if aliens did find it, how would they listen to it? But then they asked "If you could send some kind of compilation of what life on Earth is like, what would you send?"

I've been thinking about it for the last hour. What so perfectly represents our lives here on our blue planet? Obviously, I would include some music in my Space Capsule. But what? It's so hard to pick just one thing. Some music that I love? If so, I would include Kaki King. I haven't met too many people who've heard of her, but she makes some amazing music. This is one of my personal favourites.




But what else? Famous speeches, my favourite sounds (the wind at night, the rumble of thunder), the general sounds of life (talking, laughing, crying, yelling). But what if you could include more than sounds? What about smells?
Some of my favourite smells are rain on warm pavement, ink from a ballpoint pen, my dog's fur, Max's clothes, Famous Foods.
Taste? Curry, magnolia petals, chocolate, pomegranate, rapini, crème brûlée.
Visuals? Some of my favourite movies (Lady in the Water being one of them), perfect clouds, birthday cake, my bed at the end of a long day, your Caller ID when it's someone you really like talking to.
What if you could put the sensation of touch in this Space Capsule? The pages of a book, the smooth clicking of the keys of my laptop, Max's beard (yes, for real), new leaves, silk...

In all likelihood, there is nobody out there who would be finding this Space Capsule, but if there was, what would you send into space that would epitomize our life here on Earth?

2 comments:

  1. I think we would have to include the scent of vanilla. It's like the basis of everything.
    The sound of windchimes...
    Seashells, fallen bird feathers, moth wings, leaves, rain
    Handwritten romantic poetry
    The sound a mac makes when it turns on (I love that sound)
    Strawberries, lemon cheesecake, zucchini, bread.
    A fresh sheet of drawing paper, and I agree with the beard XD
    The feeling of having your hair blown back by a sunlit wind
    The sound of an airplane taking off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, I saw windchimes, and I thought it said sandwiches xD

    I like all the food things, and I especially agree with the feeling the wind in your hair. It was windy today, and my hair hasn't been this long in awhile, so it felt great.

    ReplyDelete