Friday, May 14, 2010

The Future Soon, and Recipes

So, today I was thinking more and more about culinary school. I've just been cooking a lot recently, and it reminded me of how much I love it. But would I actually like a career?

Talking to Karina, she asked what I was doing about school. I said I had noooo idea at the moment, and she mentioned the VCC Culinary Arts Program. I have to say, it looks pretty good, and not ridiculously expensive. The tuition comes up to just under $5000, which is a savable amount. And the program actually sounds cool! I'm just looking at the courses now. Term 1 is boring beginner stuff, like Basic Kitchen Skills, Hot and Cold Breakfast Cooking, Sandwich Prep, Kitchen Management and Healthcare, etc. But then you get into the cool stuff, like Stock, Soup and Sauce Cooking, and in Term 2, Alcoholic Beverage Service and Appetizers and Hors d'oeuvres! Doesn't that sounds insanely exciting?!

Okay, better not get too excited. I always get really into a a career idea, before I actually know if that's what I want. It kind of worries me that this is so far from what I originally wanted to do (writing). But why couldn't I cook and write at the same time?

I'm also wondering about what other courses I'd have to take if I wanted to start my own business. See, if I do go into food, I'd really love to do catering. It seems like a much less low stress environment. Like, you sit down with the client, they tell you what they want, you make a menu, and cook it all beforehand, whereas in a restaurant, it's like "Cook this and this and this and this, RIGHT NOW."

It is exciting though, because this is something I could actually see myself doing. When I thought about teaching, it never quite felt right. I didn't get as excited about it. I thought it was just something I had to do.

Oh god, if I become a chef, I'm going to get so fat.

So today is my little sister's 18th birthday. It's so cute that my siblings are growing up. God, I remember when they were just little little. For her present, I am paying for the tattoo she's getting (at 5 pm today). It's very simple. It just the word 'love' in handwriting on her wrist. I think it's very cute. I'm kind of bummed that she beat me to the tattoo-punch though.

Mmm, speaking of punch, the wedding shower. AMAZING SUCCESS. Everything was delicious, from the drink to the dessert, and all the guests had a great time. As for the food, we had the spicy lamb meatballs, our signature shrimp quiche, smoked salmon canapes, deviled eggs and... actually, that's it. We nixed the bulgar nicoisse, just because it didn't really fit in with the finger food theme.
For drinks, I made sangria (another family signature), and punch. The punch was a mix of pomegranate juice, white grape and peach juice, and this amazing blood orange pop that I am in love with. It tastes a lot like Red Tangerine Fanta, but minus the bazillion cups of sugar.

And in case you're interested, here is the recipe for our delicious Sangria:

1 bottle red wine
1/8 cup brandy
1/4 orange juice
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup soda water

We actually ended up doubling this recipe for one jug, and I added a little more orange juice than was called for, because I like it tasting a little less winey. The punch was just as delicious though, so I had a lot of that.

And the Spicy Lamb Meatballs. I seriously cannot get enough of them. Okay, okay, I'll tell you the recipe:

1/2 lb ground lamd
1 egg
3 green onion, chopped
2 tbsp bread crumbs
1 tsp each of curry, cinnamon and corriander
2 tbsp each of pine nuts and currants
2 tbsp harissa sauce (can be substituted with hot sauce of your choice)

Then just fry 'em up in a pan of oil. I used grapeseed oil, because it has a very neutral flavour (don't have grapeseed oil? Try using canola oil instead), and a high heat tolerance. Now, I doubled this recipe, and it gave me about... man, I didn't count. 3 dozen meatballs, maybe? There were a lot. I didn't make them very big either, just bite sized. They didn't end up as spicy as I would have liked, but still amazing. having the currants in them was lovely. You'd get these little bursts of sweetness in your mouth.And then, you can't have the meatballs without the very delicious Mint Yogurt sauce:

1/2 cup plain yogurt
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp sugar
fresh mint leaves, chopped

Again, doubled this recipe because there were a lot of people. But it was really, really good. Man, wish I had some more.

Oh dear, am I going to have to start a blog just for cooking? That'll make 4 blogs that I have, although the other two are pretty dormant now. Shame.

Anyway, that is enough chatter for now. I keep staying up way too late, and then sleeping in forever.

Peace it. I hope you try the recipes!

2 comments:

  1. Yes! Food blog! I think I'm still interested in culinary school enough to do that at some point when I'm done school for art and writing (if i ever get in to the writing program :/) Just as a side thing, you know, just for the hell of it. In the mean time, I enjoy making cakes like that orange one you and I made, which I have made two or three times since then, although I am hoping to do a chocolate orange one and a chocolate raspberry one soon also : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should try these recipes! I like cooking dinner type food more than desserts now. And lol, I kind of want to start a food blog but everyone and their cat has a fucking food blog, so idk.

    ReplyDelete