Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Recipe Failures and Bean Salad

So I was going to blog about how amazing my lamb, apricot and almond dish turned out, but it was a fucking disaster. Nobody liked it.

The recipe made it sound so good though...

  • lamb loin chops
  • 2 onions
  • carrots
  • dried apricots
  • whole almonds
  • 1 tsp each of powdered ginger, cinnamon and cumin
  • 1/4 honey
  • 2 cups orange juice
Brown the lamb loin chops, and then combine all the ingredients in a casserole dish. Cover and braise for 3 hours at 250 degrees.

And it was no good. For one, I put too much orange juice and honey, and I should have put a half teaspoon of all the spices instead of a full one. Also, using lamb loin chops was a bad idea, because there wasn't enough meat on them. If I ever decide to try and make this again, I'm going to use a leg of lamb or something. Or just a big fucking piece of lamb meat, that would be good too.

On the bright side, I ended up making a delicious bean salad to accompany this atrocious failure meal. I got the original recipe from here, my absolute favourite recipe blog on the Internet, but I modified it a little bit.

Rachel and I walked Macey to the store, because we needed to get pretty much everything for this recipe. We had to go to Extra Foods though, the shittiest grocery store in the land. For one, they didn't have any canned kidney beans. For real. I mean, I could understand them not having the cannellini beans, but kidney beans? So we ended up getting some Unico bean medley, which had chickpeas, kidney, romano, pinto, and black eyed beans in it. We skipped the celery because Rachel HATES celery (I'm not too fond of it either), and didn't use apple cider vinegar because I didn't want to have to buy a bottle of something I wasn't going to use very often. Also, I didn't get the parsley because they only sold them in huge bundles, and I didn't want to waste it.

So I ended up using:

  • 3 cans of the bean medley
  • 1/2 a red onion, chopped fine
  • 1 tbsp of rosemary, chopped fine
  • 1/3 cup of sugar
  • 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
  • 1/4 olive oil
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
Whisk all sugar, vinegar, oil and salt and pepper together, then pour over the beans, onion and rosemary, thoroughly mixing all the ingredients together. The recipe says to chill for several hours, but I only had enough time to let mine chill for one, and it was just fine. Super, super delicious, and now a new favourite. I'm going to have to make this a few times in the summer. It seems like a summer meal, doesn't it?

Oooh, and Rachel finally told my dad about her boyfriend. He took it surprisingly well, actually. Threatened to sharpen his knife, get out his shotgun, etc, but it went over okay. He's going to meet the poor young boy soon. I don't know why I said "young" or "boy" there, he's the same age as me.

Ah, it's 2 am now. I suppose I should attempt sleep now. But goddamnit, I'm just so hungry! What did I eat today... A little ice cream thing at 2 pm, to curb my hunger pangs while I was out at the store, a Wagon Wheel while I was cooking, a little bit of my disaster meal and delicious bean salad around 8:30, and then Nutella on a piece of bread 3 hours ago. Jesus, that's not very much when you think about it. I always eat like this too, sparse and spread out. I guess this is why I'm so hungry all the time.

Peace it.

No comments:

Post a Comment