Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Old Lady Stories

I did not grow up with old people around me, since my grandparents died when I was very young. So now I find that I am incredibly awkward around the elderly. Like, what do we talk about? I'm from Generation Internet, they had WWII. Every time I'm forced to talk to one of them, I get all anxious and try to get out of it as quickly as possible. When I see a super old person hobbling down the street, all I can think is "zombies".

In my neighbourhood, there is an old folks home, and... old people apartments? I don't know what you call them. They're apartments for those old people that can still take care of themselves. Anyways, I was waiting for my bus to work on Monday, when an old lady asked me if I knew when the bus was showing up. I did, and I told her it would be here in 8 minutes. She commented on how chilly it was, and I agreed. She said it was so windy that she had to wear a hat, because her hair was so thin it would just fly away. I said I had the opposite problem (I have very thick, curly hair) and she said "Oh, you're just like my granddaughter. She spends a fortune on hair products, when she's in college and should be saving for school! Are you in school?" I said I wasn't because I couldn't figure out what I wanted to do.

And then she proceeded to tell me her entire life story.

But you know what? I didn't mind, because her life was totally cool. She was in nursing, but was disgusted with how they wanted them to cover up for the crooked doctors. "They wanted me to testify for a doctor at a trial, but I wouldn't lie, so I quit!" I was like Holy shit, this is awesome.
Then she became a fashion writer, and wrote about fashion, I guess. She worked for some brilliant guy who was head of Mensa, but then quit working for him because he was an asshole who didn't know how to deal with people (honestly, I started zoning out a little bit here). Then she married some Norwegian architect who won the Governor Generals Award, and was a contributing writer for The Province, and wrote super controversial pieces.

And her name is Betty, like my own grandmother that I never met. She's about the same age as my grandma would have been too.

So yeah, just thought that was neat. Anyway, it is LATE now, and I need to get some beauty sleep for the wedding shower tomorrow. Just had to tell that story before I forgot.

Peace it.

1 comment:

  1. That's cool. I guess I'm a bit awkward too, I think I'm really aware of how our language is different from theirs, with all the "like"s and stuff, and I feel like it's somewhat disrespectful to talk like that to them? I don't know, it's just a little weird, sometimes.

    ReplyDelete