Saturday, May 8, 2010

Genetic Markers and Bridal Showers

Can't sleep.

I tried to go to sleep about 2 and a half hours ago, and that didn't work. I don't know how I'm so awake now. Well, I wasn't overly tired to start out with. Rachel came home with her friends, and then they all decided to pack into our room. This one girl, I don't know her name, but she is unattractive and loud. I can't imagine why Rachel is friends with her.

Woke up, watched food shows with my mum, then talked science and existentialism with Peter and his friend, who sounds exactly like him. Is that a thing? Do 15 year old boys just all sound the same?

Anyway, my mum was apparently talking to one of the lawyers she works for, and they're working on a case about some botched birth by a doctor or something, how the umbilical cord got wrapped around the kids throat and now he's retarded or something. Anyway, the lawyer had to talk to some top notch neuroscientist, and the neuroscientist said that apparently, since they've started mapping our DNA, they found these markers. Like, markers in our genetic sequence. Apparently, there are 'cancer markers' and certain things in life can switch these markers on, thus giving their bearer cancer. Like, Person A and Person B can both have cancer markers. But Person A never got cancer, while Person B did, and Person B only got cancer because something in his environment turned it on. Like, apparently things like, having a rough childhood, or people being mean to you for 2 years straight in high school. Now, obviously not everyone is going to get cancer after someone calls them a faggot or whatever, but that's the basic idea of it. And, this is going to be huge for people like the lawyer my mum works for.

Say there's a custody case. The father of the child is cold and unfeeling, but well-off, stable job, able to provide, etc. The mother is in less of a favourable position, but is warm and kind and loving. They're saying that with this knowledge of 'cancer markers' (and it's not only cancer, there are other kinds of markers too) the mothers lawyer can say "We can't send this child with his father because he is a horrible bastard." and the judge will say "Of course, you're right." This neuroscientist said that in 20 years time, this will be quite common knowledge. I love it. The future is going to be awesome.

Does that mean someone will finally make a kind of parenting handbook? I mean, there are a million out there already. My mother (and probably her mother before her) raised my siblings and I on this Dr. Gerber Baby Book. It was the baby book in our house. But I mean, maybe someone will finally make a standard issue "Guide to Babies" or something. It'll have this genetic marker stuff in it, and, shit, maybe they'll even start testing people before they have babies. I mean, I know that sounds like some kind of pyscho, over-controlling government thing, where they can control the population or whatever. But think about it. Think about all those fuck-ups you've seen, in real life and on TV, with children, and how you know that kids going to end up just as fucked up. Maybe they'll finally eradicate that shit.

Man, I got all excited about food today (again). A girl at work asked why I'm not going to culinary school. Honestly, I would LOVE to have the chance to learn more about cooking, but I don't feel like I have any interest in cooking in, say, a restaurant. I like cooking for my friends and family, and I like cooking for myself. And really, I don't think I could stand the high stress environment. I'm neurotic enough as it is.

But yeah. Jenny's wedding shower is on the 12th, and we're going to make SUCH delicious food. Here's what's on the menu:

  • spicy lamb meatballs, with mint yogurt sauce
  • our signature shrimp and broccoli mini-quiches
  • bulgar nicoisse
  • smoked salmon canapes, with dill cream cheese
Awesome. I wanted to make more, but my mum said that was enough. We're just going to get a cake from, like, Safeway, and have coffee and tea. Oh, and sangria! The only alcoholic drink I will consume.
It's going to be so fun. We have some games, we're going to decorate, we got Jenny some darling presents (hint: the theme of the party is 'lingerie'. My mums idea), and I bought an adorable dress at Urban Behaviour the other day that I'm going to wear.

Fack, I still need to buy a pair of shoes to go with my dress for the wedding. I bought this awesome vintage hat the other day from some retro store downtown, and an old faux pearl necklace that is too cute. The dress is champagne coloured, and the hat is sort of golden. So I need like-coloured shoes. But with size 11 feet, a seemingly simple task like this turns into a terrible shoe man-hunt. Not a lot of stores cater to us bigfoot gals.

Now it's bed time for real, and just in time too. I think I'm getting Carpal Tunnel in my arm from typing too much.

Listening to: Brand New Colony - The Postal Service

Peace it.

No comments:

Post a Comment